Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A little bit more about ...Me.

I was born in the early sixties in Hamilton, Ohio to two marvelous parents. They had good simple values. They believed in things like Truth, Honor, Integrity and all the good things that America stood for. I didn't come from a rich family with a silver spoon but we did have plenty to eat most of the time. 


As you can tell my Father was a Minister and my Mother was his faithful wife, secretary, organizer 
and chef for almost 50 years. This was a picture of his Ordination Service where he was Ordained as a Pastor. He was not one of those "Radio or TV" Pastors that was always begging for money. He was the real deal. His day normally started at 5 am by getting up praying, reading his Bible and then switching on the switch, putting on his head phones to do his radio show in the morning which was on WZIP the VOICE of IMMANUEL. He would do a half hour show in which he played a couple songs of gospel music then do a short devotion and end the show in prayer. After that he would suit up and head for the Hospitals. He would hit them all in Cincinnati. Christ, Jewish, Good Samaritan, University and then St. Elizabeth and St. Luke in Kentucky. He would go in and chat with the sick, pray with them and counsel the family. I have seen him work 20 hour days. He was a true pastor. He was always doing for others.



                                                        Here is a little History of the Peters




This is the whole Peters Clan.
Elmo,Clarence,Dale,Verlon,Virgel,Charles
Seated is my Grandfather Lanie and Grandmother Mary
My Great Grandfather with my father in his arms.'
The one our right is my father.
He was born in Booneville, Kentucky over in Owsley county.



My Dad & Mom Met at Doc Stout's Root Beer Stand
 in Harrison Ohio on State Street.
 She was a waitress and he worked at the Gas station
 across the street. 





















My dad couldn't play a guitar
 but he just wanted to look like Elvis.
He did have a fine baratone voice
 when he wasn't messing around trying to sing a falsetta.
My Father and I.
Three Generations
Elmo, Raymond and Ben
We are not perfect because we go our own paths but we have a common goal. To do our best at what we do. Whether it is being a minister or a worker, photographer,soldier,artist or what ever do it to the best of our ability! Never let anyone tell you that you can be something! Just keep pushing and trying. Never Quit! Never Say Die.
Why do I say these things?
I know what it is to start over. In 1992 I was homeless because of a bad divorce. I lost it all! I found myself homeless with nothing but an old truck and a tent. I was wondering what I was going to do.
I was setting watching the campfire and this passage came into my head. "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." Guess what? He provided me a way out. He truly is my shepherd and I want for nothing. My needs are met.


I Guess I'll see this picture as a going away present.
He loved us all very much. I miss my Dad and to know me is to know a lot of my Dad. He was a kind man but he would always stand for what is right and true. 
He told me, "Son, Always be truthful even if it hurts!"

It has hurt. I have had many ups and downs. I have been rich and poor. I have been happy and sad. My work ethic will always be to my Father and my Mother. 

We Peters are a hearty lot. We are known for reinventing ourselves. When our family lived in Booneville we were know for our moonshine but believe it or not we moved to Sunman, Indiana and started farming. Believe it or not the First Baptist Church of Harrison, Ohio started in my Grandfathers Kitchen and it stands on Hill and Broadway as a Testament that yes any body can make a choice and get a second chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment