Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sometime distractions are good.

For the past few days I have had a bit of a distraction but it is good. My friends, Matt & Shelly went to New York on business/pleasure and they have two beautiful huskies. One is snow white with baby blue eyes and the new addition to the family is Tyson (the wonder dog). Tyson is also a husky but he is black and white with attitude!




He came to us as a bundle of joy and in a very short time fell in love with this pup even though he crapped on my carpet twice! We learned quickly that timing is everything. Let him, eat and then drink, then immediately outside. He was a Ninja Crapper! He could pee and poop at the same time! Remarkable!

I say all of this to lead to my point that it was nice to have a dog in the house once again to remind me of all the great dogs that I have had in the past. There was Pooch my very first dog that was a small german shepherd with a light beige coat. I was about 4 years old when we had that dog. He was very protective of me and my parents would have to put the dog out before administering any type of discipline. He was my companion until he died.

Then there was Frisky who was my wonderful short haired Dachshund, who was the love of my life until I was twelve. She was such a fun dog and always had such a nice demeanor. I have never heard that dog growl. I read with very much shock and surprise that Dachshund's were vicious Badger hunters! I had no idea! I can remember hear the nails of Frisky scratching the linoleum floor as she was rounding the corner she would get loose in the rear. (to coin a NASCAR phrase) For her rear end would come around the corner first!

The there was YakYak, who for his name sake Yaked all the time! When I say Yaked I mean he barked all the time! He wouldn't shut up! So we put him way in the corner of the back yard and he would set on top of his house, just like Snoopy and he would Bark! Oh, how the neighbors loved our dog! NOT!

Then there was Freakles who was a Party Cocker Spaniel who we loved very much. She was a milk chocolate with the fluffy ears and fluffy feet. Such a wonderful dog but she was very territorial. When we moved to Louisiana we picked up some other dogs along the way. There was Gator a black and tan. There was Lady a blue tick hound dog and Sambo half Labrador and half German Shepherd who was a black beautiful dog that looked like a Shepherd covered in soot.

Now in Louisiana we lived in a Parsonage by the Church off of Highway 1 right out of Rodessa and about a mile from the Texas border. One afternoon, a "meter man" came to read our meter. He told me that he would look for it and I offered to help but he would have none of it. Well, we had had the dogs chained out back in separate places in the yard to be strategic for security and to keep them from being entangled.
I sat in the living room watching TV while the "Meter Man" went to inspect the Meter. I'm a firm believer that most dogs are a good judge of character. Soon I heard Freakles with her woof and then a full blown high pitched bark. I smiled to myself. Then I heard the howlings of the other dogs and then the booming woofing of Sambo. The "Meter Man" came back to the door in shreds and very shaky as he asked me if I could accompany him. In which I did with no incident.
 He never came back.

Since then I have had Butterscotch and Oriole who were my Lesbian couple. Butterscotch was part Golden Retriever and Oriole was bird dog and beagle mixed. Oriole was an oddity who was built like a tank with short legs and fat body. She had the demeanor of an old war vet with Post war Syndrome. Which meant that every once in a while she would go crazy. She would eat ...anything! They were sweet. They would love each other and then they would fight until the blood would fly and I would have to separate them. One day I was out in the back yard swinging on the swing and the neighbor boy hollered across the fence. "Mr. Ray, Mr. Ray! What are those two dogs doing?" I looked to where he was pointing and saw my to Lesbians humping each other to beat the band! I was a bit embarrassed all though I'm fine with Lesbians, I stammered, "Uhhh, they are playing leap frog and Butterscotch just got stuck." He watched with a bit of confusion on his face and said, "Oh." Then he left after a few minutes of watching.

Unfortunately my girls died in 2009. Butterscotch died first of old age and then Oriole died two weeks later of a broken heart. I was saddened by their passing. You know that your dogs are special when the neighbors give condolences.

I have now been with a pet for about a year and a half now. So to watch Tyson was nice. A nice distraction.
Sometimes to keep your sanity you have to keep a dog distracted!

No comments:

Post a Comment