Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Road to Hana.

In 2009 my Father, Dr. Elmo Peters DD, passed to a better place. My Mother, Jewel, had always been there for him. She had served in every capacity to him as an wife, mother, secretary, organizer, chef etc.

Upon his passing she was at a loss for what to do. He was no longer there to set the tone or pace of the day. She had cleaned the house until there was nothing more to clean. She had called all of her friends.
So now she was faced with nothing but her loneliness and her grief.

My Wife and I had already planned a trip to Hawaii aboard "The Pride of America" which is with Norwegian Cruise Lines. (www.ncl.com) (Love,love,love!) This trip was to fly from Cincinnati, Ohio then to Salt Lake City, Utah and then to dead head into Honolulu, Hawaii.
Then the trip was to go via ship from Oahu to Maui from there to Hilo and then Kona then to Nawiliwili, Kuaii.

With my Mother being distraught, I couldn't cancel the trip because it was locked in. So I worked with Ernesto of Norwegian Cruise Lines to purchase another trip for her to accompany us! We got another cabin for her with a balcony. Everything was set. We approached her with this and she then started saying that she didn't know if she could go. Sigh. She didn't know if she should go that maybe it's best to stay at home. Sigh.

I then took the bull by the horns and asserted myself. I said, "Mom, I love you and you ARE going! It's already paid for so don't make me chloroform you! She smiled and said, "Ok." I then hugged her and then I said, "Hey Mom! You are going to Hawaii!" She laughed and confirmed, Hey Ray! I'm going to Hawaii!

We went!

We got into Maui and met Surfing Sue who was awesome! She knew more stuff about King Kameomeo then any body and she talked more than me! We climbed into her van and off we went to our destination in Hana. Now to be truthful I looked at the map of Maui and said "Why do we need a guide? It's not that far."
It's an ALL day journey! The roads are dangerous and there are falling rocks. We wound along the road and over bridges. Many of the bridges are one lane which caused back ups.

We say so many beautiful sights and then we got to Hana. Not much to really look at. A very nice resort but the beaches were beautiful. Along the way back we stopped for lunch with a picnic and then we stopped at one of the many Refuges that are in Hawaii. The refuges were for protection against King Kameamea. Even though he was one of their greatest kings he was also ruthless and would kill someone just for looking at him or if his shadow touched you. If that person could run and hide in one of the refuges which were normally churches the King would leave you alone.

I took these experiences and turned them into my creations.

                                                        I call this one the Refuge of Hana

                

                                                    This one (unfinished) The Portal


                                                                  Paradise of Hana


                                 We will never forget our trip to this spiritual place. Truly beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment